Saturday, September 20, 2008

What is THAT dog barking at........

This phrase has been said quite often lately. Over the last week or two the dog has been barking for no reason. This is the dog who usually never barks. Recently he has started barking at nothing. He will not stop he stands there and barks and barks. The other day I had enough and decided to go search for something he was barking at. I found it. A snake skin on the bookcase. Don't be alarmed this was found outside and brought it. Maybe that is alarming. The other night the dog was barking at a the container that has all the Nintendo DS games in it. Dh asked what is THAT dog barking at. Dd said the DS games. I thought it was a little strange he was barking at the DS games but THAT dog is a little strange. Then latter the dog who barks all the time was walking by the container that has the DS games and stopped several feet away. You could tell she was smelling something. She then made a huge detour around the container watching the container the entire time. Now I had to go check out the container. You guessed it the snake skin was in the container.

Now I have to call our dog trainer and make an appointment for THAT dog to get snake proofed. The dog who barks all the time but didn't bark at the snake skin was snaked proofed several years ago. She wanted nothing to do with it. THAT dog was interested in it. Now I have proof snake proofing really works. These are hunting dogs who spend time running in fields and have a good chance of encountering a snake. They have a rattlesnake vaccine but I would prefer not finding out how well that works.

Who knew dogs could smell a snake skin. I am wondering how they know what a snake skin smells like? Why if they can smell the snake skin do they not think they stink when they get sprayed by a skunk. I know they don't care if they have been sprayed by a skunk. How do I know this? Because they have been sprayed more than once. If I got sprayed by a skunk it would only take me one time to know to stay FAR away from skunks.

No comments: